Overdraft Coverage Options
Options for Covering Unexpected Overdrafts
Life happens! Miami Firefighters FCU understands that unexpected overdrafts occur from time to time – Overdraft Coverage can help.
Overdraft Coverage Options
The choice is yours. Consider these ways to cover overdrafts:
|Overdraft Protection Link to Another Deposit Account you have at Miami Firefighters FCU1
|$35.00 Courtesy Pay Fee per item
|Overdraft Line of Credit
|$88.24 per $1000 used
1Call us at (305) 324-4004, email us at email@example.com, or come by our office to sign up for these services.
Overdraft Protection services apply to all transactions and may help prevent overdrafts by automatically transferring funds to your checking account from another account.
Courtesy Pay allows you to overdraw your account up to the disclosed limit for a fee in order to pay a transaction. Even if you have overdraft protection, Courtesy Pay is still available as secondary coverage if the other protection source is exhausted. Please review the “What Else You Should Know” section at the bottom of this page for other important information.
Courtesy Pay Coverage
|Transactions Covered with Courtesy Pay
|Standard Coverage (No action required)
|Extended Coverage (Your consent required)*
|ACH – Auto Debits
|Recurring Debit Card Payments
|Online Bill Pay Items
|Internet Banking Transfers
|Teller Window Transactions
|Everyday Debit Card Transactions
If you would like to select Extended Coverage for future transactions:
- Call us at (305) 324-4004
- Complete the online Extended Coverage Consent Form
- Visit our office
- Complete the enclosed consent form and mail it to us at 1111 NW 7th St Miami, FL 33136
- E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
*If you choose Extended Coverage, ATM withdrawals and everyday debit card transactions will be included with the transactions listed under Standard Coverage.
You can discontinue the Courtesy Pay in its entirety by contacting us at (305) 324-4004 or sending us an e-mail at email@example.com.
- A link to another account may be a less expensive option than an overdraft. A single larger overdraft will result in just one fee, as opposed to multiple smaller overdrafts. Good account management is the best way to avoid overdrafts. Use our mobile banking, Internet banking, and telephone banking services to keep track of your balance. For additional financial education resources, please visit www.mymoney.gov.
- The $35 Courtesy Pay Fee that is charged if you overdraw your account more than $10 is the same fee amount that is charged if a check is returned as unpaid. If multiple items overdraw your account on the same day, each item will be assessed an appropriate Courtesy Pay Fee or a Return Fee of $35. All fees and charges will be included as part of the Courtesy Pay limit amount. Your account may become overdrawn more than the Courtesy Pay limit amount because of a fee.
- For consumer accounts, there is no limit on the total Courtesy Pay Fees per day we will charge. We will not charge a Courtesy Pay Fee if an account is overdrawn by $10 or less.
- This describes the posting order for the purpose of determining overdrafts. Our general policy is to post items throughout the day and to post credits before debits. ACH debits are posted in the order in which it’s received; while paper checks, ATM, and debit card transactions are posted in serial number order. However, because of the many ways we allow you to access your account, the posting order of individual items may differ from these general policies. Holds on funds (described herein) and the order in which transactions are posted may impact the total amount of Courtesy Pay Fees or Return Fees assessed.
- Although under payment system rules, Miami Firefighters FCU may be obligated to pay some unauthorized debit card transactions, Miami Firefighters FCU will not authorize debit card or ATM transactions unless there are available funds (including Overdraft Coverage Options) to cover the transactions and any fee(s).
- Giving us your consent to pay everyday debit card and ATM overdrafts on your consumer account (Extended Coverage) may result in you incurring Courtesy Pay Fees for transactions that we would otherwise be required to pay without assessing a Courtesy Pay Fee. However, this would allow us to authorize transactions up to the amount of your Courtesy Pay limit and may also help you avoid overdrafts in excess of your available balance that could result in suspension of your debit card. If you consent to Extended Coverage on your consumer account, it will remain on your account until you otherwise withdraw it.
- Miami Firefighters FCU authorizes and pays transactions using the available balance in your account. Miami Firefighters FCU may place a hold on deposited funds in accordance with our Deposit Account Agreement and Disclosure, which will reduce the amount in your available balance. The available balance for checks, ACH items, and recurring debit card transactions is comprised of the ledger balance, less any holds on deposited funds and any debit card holds, plus the amount of the Courtesy Pay limit and any available overdraft protection. The available balance for ATM and everyday debit card transactions on accounts with Standard Coverage is the ledger balance, less any holds on deposited funds and any debit card holds, plus any available overdraft protection, but does NOT include the Courtesy Pay Limit. For accounts with Extended Coverage, the Courtesy Pay Limit is included in the available balance for authorizing ATM and everyday debit card transactions.
- Please be aware that the Courtesy Pay amount is not included in your available balance provided through online banking or mobile banking.
- Miami Firefighters FCU will place a hold on your account for any authorized debit card transaction until the transaction settles (usually within two business days) or as permitted by payment system rules. In some cases, the hold may exceed the amount of the transaction. When the hold ends, the funds will be added to the available balance in your account. If your account is overdrawn after the held funds are added to the available balance and the transaction is posted to the available balance, a Courtesy Pay Fee may be assessed.
- Except as described herein, Miami Firefighters FCU will not pay items if your account does not contain available funds (including the Courtesy Pay limit) to cover the item(s) and the amount of any fee(s).
- Miami Firefighters FCU may suspend your debit card if you incur overdrafts in excess of the available balance in your account, including any Courtesy Pay limit (as described herein). Debit cards on your account will remain suspended until you make sufficient deposits so that your available balance, taking into account any Courtesy Pay limit, is positive and then you contact us.
- Miami Firefighters FCU may also suspend your debit card if your account is overdrawn more than 32 consecutive calendar days. Debit cards on your account will remain suspended until you make sufficient deposits so that your account balance is positive.
- Miami Firefighters FCU may also suspend your debit card if we are unable to contact you due to an incorrect mailing address or Phone Number(s). You must contact us with your correct mailing address and/or Phone Number(s) to have your debit card reinstated.
- If your debit card is suspended, you will be unable to use your debit card for purchases or to access your account at the ATM, and if you use your debit card for recurring payments, e.g., utilities, you are responsible to make other arrangements for your recurring debit payment(s).
- A Courtesy Pay limit of $1,000 will be granted to eligible consumer and business checking accounts once you have been a member for at least 60 days in good standing.
- Courtesy Pay is not a line of credit; it is a discretionary overdraft service that can be withdrawn at any time without prior notice.
- Courtesy Pay may be discontinued if you default on any loan or other obligation to us, your account becomes subject to any legal or administrative order or levy, or if you fail to maintain your account in good standing by not bringing your account to a positive balance within 32 days for a minimum of one business day. You must bring your account balance positive for at least one business day to have Courtesy Pay reinstated.
- Depositor and each Authorized Signatory will continue to be liable, jointly, and severally, for all overdraft and fee amounts, as described in the Deposit Account Agreement and Disclosure. The total (negative) balance, including all fees and charges, is due and payable upon demand.
If you have any questions about Overdraft Protection or Courtesy Pay, please call us at (305) 324-4004 or visit our office.